- 12 cups popped corn
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cup corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 250 F. Grease large shallow roasting pan. Add popcorn. Keep warm in oven while making caramel mixture.
- Place sugar, water and corn syrup in heavy 2-qt saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Carefully clip candy termometer to side of pan. Cook over low heat, without stirring about 10 minutes or until thermometer registers 280 F. Occasionally wash down any sugar crystals that form on the side of the pan using brush dipped in warm water. Immediately remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour hot syrup mixture slowly over warm popcorn, turning to coat kernels evenly. Set aside until cool enough to handle but warm enough to shape.
- Butter hands. Working quickly, lightly press warm mixture into 2 inch balls.
- Cool completely. Store in airtight container.
Makes about 14 popcorn balls
Insert lollipop sticks while still warm; set aside to cool completely. Cover with decorative plastic wrap and tie with a bow.