2016 Summer Reading Club at Coppell Library
Coppell Library, 500 Southwestern Blvd
NOTE: Coppell Library is currently in the middle of renovations and has relocated to a small, temporary location. They have significantly reduced programming during this time. As a result, we ask that only Coppell residents utilize the special activities being offered this season.
Read for Prizes!
It’s easy to participate in the Summer Reading Program! Keep track of everything online!
For kids newborn to 5th grade:
• Visit the Library catalog to sign up.
• Log each day that you read. When you reach 15 days, you’ll get a free book (while supplies last)!
• When you read 20 days, you’ll get an entry into our Grand Prize Gift Drawing!
• At 25 days, you’ll get an invitation to our special Gold Medal Pool Party*!
• When you read for 30 days, you’ll get a second entry into our Grand Prize Gift Drawing!
• The last day to log your reading and collect prizes is Saturday, July 31.
*Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
6/4 Summer Reading Kick-off!
Saturday, June 4 from 11 am to 1 pm
Help us kick off this year’s Summer Reading Program with games, treats, and special guests at the Library! Additional parking located at Burns St and S Coppell Rd. Kick-off will be held at the Library located at 500 Southwestern Blvd.
Tuesdays at 3 pm
Join us for special performances by a variety of talented people. Intended for children going into grades K-5. Our special performances will be held at Austin Elementary located at 161 S Moore Rd.
6/07 Dallas Zoo
6/14 Mad Science
6/21 Secret Agent Magic Show
7/12 Storytime Theater
7/19 Boas vs. Pythons
Wednesdays at 3 pm (Except 7/6)
Join us for a special time each week. Intended for children going into grades K-5, except KidsNotes (intended for preschool – 1st grade). Wacky Wednesdays will be held at the Biodiversity Education Center located at 367 Freeport Pkwy.
- LEGO Freeplay (6/8 & 7/13): Come build with LEGOs! Use the library’s blocks to create a design to show your friends.
- KidsNotes (6/15): An interactive, educational program for young children led by a symphony staff member and a musician from the Las Colinas Symphony Orchestra. There will be professional musicians performing, plus the children will have the opportunity to try the instruments. Intended for children preschool to first grade.
- Board Games (6/22 & 7/20): Join your friends and sharpen your skills as you play board games.
- Craftapalooza! (6/29 & 7/27): Use your imagination to create a craft project to take home!
For teens entering grades 6 – 12: To participate in the Teen Summer Reading Program, visit the Library catalog to sign up. Log each day that you read. When you reach 15 days, you’ll get a free book (while supplies last)! When you read 20 days, you’ll get an entry into our Grand Prize Drawing! At 25 days, you’ll get an invitation to our special Gold Medal Pool Party! And when you read for 30 days, you’ll get a second entry into our Grand Prize Gift Drawing! The last day to log your reading and collect prizes is Saturday, July 31.
Thursday, June 18 from 6 – 10 pm
Whodunnit?! Join us for a Fandom Clue Mystery night! Was it the Dalek in the DVD section with Thor’s hammer? This program will be held at the Coppell Public Library located at 500 Southwestern Blvd.
Summer Teen WorkshopsFridays 2 – 3:30 pm (except Friday, July 8)
Stop by the Biodiversity Education Center Friday afternoons for a variety of adventures! For Teens going into grades 6 – 12. All programs are free, no signup required. The Biodiversity Education Center is located at 367 Freeport Pkwy.
- 6/10 Geocaching at Wagon Wheel: Explore your way across the 153 acre Wagon Wheel Park using GPS on your smart phone. We’ll go over the basics of geocaching and then head out to the park to find some caches. You just need to bring a smart phone (or a friend with a smart phone).
- 6/17 Stress Relief: Find your Zen in nature this summer. We’ll take a hike through the park checking out the local wildlife and plant life. You’ll also get a chance to try your hand at birding! The afternoon will end with a yoga class with beautiful views of the park. Please bring your own yoga mat or beach towel.
- 6/24 World of Watercraft: We will get a bit damp as we learn how a common water source is shared. Next we will explore each other’s views on water usage with viewpoints on a line. Finally, we will hike to the Cottonwood Creek in Coppell Nature Park and conduct some basic water tests and learn what the results mean for freshwater environments.
- 7/01 Solar Car Racing: Power your engines with solar power! We’ll explore a bit about solar power and take a tour of the Biodiversity Education Center’s solar panels. Then we’ll make our own mini solar cars and race them. May the best car win!
- 7/15 Henna Workshop: Learn about the ancient art of Henna! We’ll talk about the history, design, and application of this art form. Then participants will have the opportunity to get their own henna designs.
- 7/22 Terrarium Craft: We’re getting crafty this week and making literary terraria! Create your favorite scene from Hogwarts or Camp Half-Blood with live plants. All supplies will be provided, but feel free to bring along your favorite action figure for your design.
- 7/29 Chocolate Olympics: Get ready for the Summer 2016 Olympic Games! Go for the gold in M&M sorting, Chocolate Shuffleboard, and the Chocolate Relay. Don’t procrastinate, start your training today!
177 N Heartz Rd, Coppell, TX 75019 (LOOK AT TEMPORARY ADDRESSES FOR PROGRAMS)
Looking for more fun events and activities?