- 1 small bag frozen broccoli (about 12 oz), or 1 fresh head
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- ⅓-1/2 cups Onion, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- ⅔ cups Milk
- 1 1/2 – cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Pinch of pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, simmer the broccoli in the broth for 15 minutes, if using frozen. Fresh broccoli won’t need as much time. If you want smaller broccoli pieces, use a potato masher to mash the broccoli.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes or to your liking.
- Add the flour to the onions and stir well, forming a paste.
- Gradually add the milk and stir until thick. Do not overheat or boil.
- Add the milk mixture, to the broccoli mixture in the pot and stir well.
- Next, turn off the heat, and add the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add pepper to taste, and serve.
Double or triple recipe, for families of more then 3-4.