- Before you start mixing, line cookie sheet with aluminum foil, turn oven to 170 (as low as it will go), and open a zipper type baggie.
- Beat egg whites until foamy (at least 3-4 minutes).
- Add salt and cream of tartar and beat until peaks stay standing (3-4 minutes).
- Add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form (about 3-4 minutes).
- Use spatula to spoon mixture into the zipper baggie. Seal when all of the mixture is in.
- Snip off a SMALL bottom corner of the baggie and use it like a pastry bag to pipe the mixture out onto the foil. Make small blobs like Hershey chocolate kisses. 1 batch should cover the entire cookie sheet in meringue “kisses”.
- Crush the candy canes and sprinkle the peppermint dust over the “kisses”.
- Leave in oven for 4 hours (yes, 4 hours – they “dry” more than the “bake”).
- When cool, peel the candy off the foil and store in an air tight container or baggie. Will keep for months.
Note from Our Reader…”Making several batches of this each year I can say it takes about 20 minutes total to prepare and then the rest is done in the oven.” Terri Wilson at www.handsonhomeschooling.com